We have moved further south to the small town of Beynac on the
La Dordogne River near the city of Sarlat.
Our B&B Le Petit Versilles is on beautiful property with many flowers.
Road down to house and easy walk to town.
Decoration in wall next to old wine cellar on their property.
Old wine cellar which is called cave.
Beynac is next to river. Town is built on hill with chateau overlooking the town.
Very steep walk up to chateau and church. We climbed 500 feet above the river. During the 100 year war between France and England, it played an important part for the French.
Dordogne River very popular area for boat tours and canoes.
That is so picturesque... the photo where you walk up the steep walk way. I love it! I love the old structures. I think it's going to be hard for you to to come back home!
ReplyDeleteI meant "two". Don't know if you can edit my comment. It won't let me here...
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely "small town," although in Kansas that might be considered a small city! I could not help but reflect on this French small town and the small towns we too often see here...closed businesses, houses left to deteriorate until they fall in on themselves, dead trees, junked cars, weeds and over-grown vines. It breaks my heart to see these dying small towns that were once thriving. Of course, the population shift to cities explain much of that. Too bad we can't make tourism a revenue source like these lovely towns you have shared have been able to do... I keep thinking some of our towns with failing populations would make fine retirement communities, if the town focused on visiting the elderly, providing vans for medical visits, delivering groceries and meals...all designed to allow older people to have their own homes for a few years longer, with the town itself benefitting...just a thought.
ReplyDelete